10 March 2018
The Perfect Gas Boilers
Gas appliances are cost saving and energy saving. There are an ample variety of gas products available in the market ranging from cooking appliances to gas heaters.
Gas boilers are a real boom and practicality in a majority of today’s households for the mere reason that these boilers are able to maintain a comfortable temperature. Yet again if gas boilers are not being properly serviced they can also prove to be highly fatal. Figures show that at least 50 % deaths are caused due to carbon monoxide poisoning which occurs due to a faulty device. In order to avoid fatalities it is necessary to understand both the preventive methods alongside the maintenance guidelines. This will ensure that the boiler heating device is running at maximum efficiency. Underneath are some vital tips:
- Get your boilers regularly checked by a certified professional once a year. This will not only prevent occurrence of any major boiler problems but at the same time you can also save tremendously on repair costs and avoid any inconveniences.
- Running the heating once a month is highly vital. Doing this will make sure that your boiler is not only running smoothly but it will also get rid of any dirt and grit that gets absorbed if it is not used.
- As a precautious measure it is important to make sure that a carbon monoxide detector is installed near the gas boiler. It is important to check that the air vents and outside flues are never blocked and are always free from any signs of leeks. The room where the gas boiler is installed should always be well ventilated.
- It will be beneficial to apply for a gas heating insurance whilst your gas boiler is in its best working condition. This insurance will come in handy when you have to get it repaired or replaced.
- Before settling and deciding on the bet gas boiler. It is useful that you check all the various options available. Condensing Boilers are more environmentally friendly than the traditional gas boilers as they are more energy efficient and they emit less harmless carbon monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide is very dangerous. It cannot be seen or smelt hence it is named “the silent killer”. The best way to protect your home is by mealy understanding its causes and recognizing its symptoms.
- Faulty or damaged heating appliances.
- Unmaintained and Unserviced heating appliances.
- Blocked chimneys of flues.
- Indoor use of barbeque grill or outdoor heater.
- Heating Appliances badly installed.
- Improper operation of heating appliances.
- Using engines such as vehicles or lawn mowers in garages.
- Using cooking appliances for heating purposes.
It is easy to identify symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning as it is common to those caused by other illnesses like cold or flu
- Unexplained headaches, chest pain or muscular weakness.
- Sickness diarrhea or stomach pains.
- Dizziness whilst standing up.
- General Lethargy.
Safety measures are necessary and have to be strictly followed in order to avoid any type of accidental and prevent death.
- Always use a Gas Safe Registered Engineer if you need to get your gas boiler fitted or repaired.
- Ask to see the engineer’s gas safe IDcard. Check the back of the card to make doubly sure that they are qualified to carry out the desired work.
- Get the gas boiler checked every year.
- Recognize the main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning which include headache,nausea, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm as carbon monoxide cannot be smelt, seen or tasted.
- Make sure flames are crisp blue because yellow or orange flames are warning signals that something is wrong.
Examples of Accidents and Incidents :
Carbon monoxide fatality
A six-year-old girl died after being poisoned by fumes from a faulty boiler. The landlord was fined £55,000 and costs after forgetting to carry out a gas safety check.
Unsafe gas work caused fatalities
Elderly couple killed by unsafe work undertaken by a builder in their home, resulting in CO poisoning. The builder worked on the garage which consequently blocked the gas flue.
Boiler poisons family
A mother, her partner and young daughter suffered carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty gas boiler. Their landlord received a suspended jail sentence.
Carbon monoxide fatality
A teenage girl died and a man in his twenties was left partially deaf with poor eyesight after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning. Fumes from a faulty gas heater to blame.
Blocked flue causes CO fatality
An elderly couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning at their home after building work left the flue of their boiler enclosed and in a dangerous and unsafe condition.
Gas appliances should be checked every year to ensure they are working properly and to help keep you and your family safe.
By just following these simple rules and bearing in mind these points you can not only get the perfect gas boiler but you can make sure that the boiler is properly working and prevent it from getting damaged.